Consultants (undergraduate and graduate students) from a variety of disciplines are trained to collaborate with you to develop an individualized approach to learning which draws upon your unique profile of strengths and is tailored to the specific demands of each of your courses. Individual consultations focus on designing a strategic approach to learning that enables you to make the most of lectures, precepts, readings, manage time, and achieve your goals while maintaining a healthy balance. Make an appointment (at least 24 hours in advance) to meet with a consultant early in the term in order to manage the academic demands of the entire semester.
We routinely advise students at all levels on:
- Time management and planning
- Motivation and overcoming procrastination
- Managing large projects (i.e. JPs and Theses)
- Engaged, efficient reading and learning from text
- Tackling P-sets and problem-solving strategies
- Effective note-taking
- Exam preparation and studying
- Mastering large amounts of information
- Learning and succeeding in specific courses
- Making the most of office hours and other resources
You can choose from a variety of consultation types to meet your needs and maximize the benefits.
- General Life & Learning: Raise any issues related to your student experience at Princeton to think through them and make a plan for addressing them.
- Weekly Coaching: Meet regularly to set up a weekly schedule, follow up on implementing changes, check in weekly to maintain motivation.
- BSE/STEM: Meet with a BSE learning consultant to tackle the distinctive academic demands of majoring in engineering at Princeton.
- Pre-Med: Meet with a pre-med track learning consultant to discuss the distinctive issues pre-med students encounter.
- Reading Intensive Courses: Learn strategies for effectively reading and learning from text in your courses with heavy reading loads.
- Thesis Consultation: Talk through any aspect of your thesis from planning your work to working effectively with your advisor to clarifying your research question.
- Time Management Consultation: Find solutions to your time management challenges and learn realistic methods for calendaring your big tasks, making sustainable schedules, and being productive every day.
- Learning Strategies Consultation: Get advice about how to approach your courses, tackle assignments, and prepare for exams. Gain new strategies, techniques, and skills to enhance your effectiveness and efficiency.
- Work-life Balance Consultation: Achieve and maintain balance among academics, extracurriculars, and everything else you want—and need—to do to be healthy and get out of your Princeton experience what’s most important to you.
"I think our consultation was one of the main reasons my thesis turned out so well. Our discussions helped me focus my ideas, gave me new ones and ultimately gave me the confidence I needed". --M.C.
"Our meeting was super helpful, informative, and fun. I'm sure what I learned will help me not only this semester; but also for a long time from now." --G.N.
"Our consultation helped me tremendously in my academic turnaround last year."--C.K.