Welcome, Class of 2024, to Princeton – and welcome to The McGraw Center! Our goal is to help you take full advantage of the academic opportunities available at Princeton while also maintaining balance and taking care of yourselves. We think hard about what is new and unfamiliar to students as they transition to Princeton’s ways of teaching and testing, and we offer advice and programs that will help you master challenges and achieve success so that you truly THRIVE here. Under these extraordinary circumstances, it’s even more important that you engage the resources available and we’ve expanded our offerings to meet the demands of virtual learning.
In this new intellectual environment, with new expectations, demands, and ways of doing things you may sometimes find yourself wondering, "How do I..."
How do I manage my time effectively?
How do I handle these big reading loads?
How do I keep up with the fast pace of my lectures and classes?
How do I tackle problem sets and other assignments efficiently?
How am I expected to participate in precepts?
We pride ourselves on breaking down these new expectations for you and guiding you toward new Princeton-specific strategies and techniques to help you answer these questions—and implement the answers. At McGraw you will receive personalized, Princeton-specific advice on methods of learning, time and task management, overcoming procrastination, and tackling assignments, among other things.
We offer a number of highly effective, cost-free services to all students:
- One-to-One Learning Strategy Consultations
- Academic Strategy Workshops
- Study Hall Group Tutoring & Individual Tutoring
- Course-Specific Study Groups & Course Jumpstarts
- Digital Learning Lab
The McGraw Center had nearly 8,000 visits from Princeton undergrads last year and well over half of the class of 2024 came through our doors to work with tutors and learning consultants and attend workshops—15% of first years had learning consultations in the fall term. Your fellow Princeton students said this about their experiences with McGraw resources:
- "Our learning consultation was super helpful, informative, and fun. I'm sure what I learned will help me not only this semester, but also for a long time from now."
- "Not only did I learn some extremely effective strategies which I am already using, I also found it very helpful to be able to talk and brainstorm freely."
- "This workshop makes you much more self-aware--the reason you procrastinate is not always what you think."
- “The consultation helped me to organize the many parts of the project and to articulate my thoughts both visually and verbally.”