What does it mean for classrooms to be inclusive spaces? How can Princeton’s community enhance learning by more fully engaging with diversity? The Inclusive Teaching at Princeton series invites undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral associates, faculty, and staff to come together to discuss diversity in teaching and learning at Princeton today. The McGraw Center, together with the Office of the Dean of the College, Teagle Foundation, Office of the Dean of the Graduate School, Office of the Dean of the Faculty, and the Vice Provost for Institutional Equity and Diversity are co-sponsoring this series to create a framework for a campus dialogue exploring these questions.
The goals of the inclusive Teaching at Princeton series are:
- To promote campus conversations about the important role that teaching plays in creating an inclusive University community.
- To increase awareness of best practices for inclusive teaching, both improving climate and allowing faculty and graduate student participants to take these important ideas with them into their future teaching projects.
- To offer faculty and graduate students access to a variety of expert perspectives on diversity and inclusion in the classroom.
- To create Princeton-specific resources for inclusive teaching.
- To assist all teachers and learners engage more meaningfully with the diversity in their classrooms.
Spring 2018 event in the Inclusive Teaching at Princeton series:
Just Teaching: Why Inclusive Classrooms and Campuses Matter - February 26, 2018
Prior events in the Inclusive Teaching at Princeton series:
- 7 into 15: Scenes from the Classroom - October 26, 2016
- Classroom (IN)Sight Juried Student Photography Competition - Exhibition and Award Ceremony; May 12, 2017
- Identity and Authority in an Inclusive Classroom - March 29, 2017
- Politics of the Classroom: Who Speaks? Who is Heard? - February 16, 2016
- Teaching to Make a Difference: Faculty Perspectives on Scholarship, Teaching, and Social Change - March 8, 2017
- Trigger Warnings and Microaggressions - March 2, 2017
- What Makes Teaching and Learning Inclusive? - September 26, 2016
- Widening the Pipeline: Inclusive Teaching for a Diverse Scientific Workforce - February 7, 2017
Additional inclusive teaching information and tips are located on our Resources for Inclusive Teaching page.