Pedagogy and Professional Development Workshops for Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows
To assist graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in their instructional development, McGraw offers pedagogy workshops designed to enhance evolving understanding of teaching practices, and examine topics such as teaching interactively, encouraging participation, and best practices in teaching. The semester’s workshop schedule is posted in early fall and early spring. Workshops with ‘(TT)’ indicated at the end of the title can be counted as a pedagogy workshop for the teaching transcript program.
NEW WORKSHOP FORMAT!
Online Flipped Workshop
Preparing to Write a Meaningful Statement of Teaching Philosophy (TT)
RSVP to reserve a seat for:
Canvas mini course, "Developing Your Teaching Statement"
Zoom feedback session on 9/24 from 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
Teaching statements have become important in academic job searches as more and more colleges and universities are requesting them from applicants for faculty positions. Through a mini-course on Canvas, we'll introduce participants to the concept of the teaching statement and present research on how search committees interpret them. In the Canvas course, you'll also start writing your own statement by drafting key elements, drawing on your teaching experiences and your goals for students. We'll then meet in a zoom session where you will receive feedback and get answers to your questions about teaching statements.
- Your RSVP will enable you to enroll in a short Canvas course you can complete at your own pace anytime up to and including 9/22.
- The earlier you RSVP, the more time you will have to complete the Canvas course. It is hard for us to estimate how long the Canvas course will take you since it depends on how much time you invest, but we think you can expect to spend around 45 minutes on it.
- Then we will meet in a zoom session on 9/24 from 12:00-1:00 p.m. where you can get feedback and answers to your questions.
- In order to receive Teaching Transcript credit for the workshop, you must complete both the Canvas work and attend the zoom session.
- Questions? Email email@example.com.